OST vs OD

Julie Smith jsmith at mosquitonet.com
Thu Sep 26 17:55:32 PDT 2002

michael, you wrote

> in the training and practice workshops we're doing around the world
now,
> the
> focus is on practicing open space *as* organization...and i envision a
> time
> when we create practice groups not just in communities but in
companies,
> so
> managers end up holding space for each other as co-practitioners... no
> need for
> outside OD people in OS cases... just a peer to come witness and hold
> space for
> what is happening.   i think that managers and others who are doing
the
> operations of the org learning to hold space for each other is one
> equivalent
> to having hold organizations 'wake up.'

Yes, yes, yes.  This is the kind of thing we're seeing emerge in our
school system here in Fairbanks.  Two school-wide staff meetings were
held in OST last May.  The first district-wide principal's meeting of
this school year was held in OST in August.  I was involved in three (!)
open space events in three different schools on September 11.  One of
those was facilitated by a student.  I'm involved in two 2-day peer
mediation trainings this week and next, and both are including a 1/2 day
OST component.  The one tomorrow will be facilitated by the organizer of
the training.  When I asked her if she needed posters, her eyes got
really big, and she said sure!  She hadn't given them a thought, and
would have done fine without them.  She's going to break all kinds of
OST norms and I'm not bothered a bit by that.  She'll probably post
topics and participate in sessions and add her own two cents to things
and not say a word about the importance of the circle and she won't ring
any Tibetan bells, but what will come through is permission for everyone
to think and express themselves authentically.  Speaking of which......
now that I'm thinking of it, perhaps I'll invite her to think about
inviting drawing and poetry and song and dance as well as written topics
and documentation if any are so inspired.....

Thanks to everyone here for creating such a warm, inviting, creative
environment for learning, unlearning and waking up.

Julie