OST vs OD

Michael Herman mherman at globalchicago.net
Thu Sep 26 15:09:02 PDT 2002

martin, you remind me of this separation between observer and observed.  makes
me think most of OD is *about* organization, but harrison's line about open
space being a better way to be *in* organization... sometimes i extend this and
say better way to be together *as* organization.  talking new science isn't the
same as being *in* it or *as* it...

in the training and practice workshops we're doing around the world now, the
focus is on practicing open space *as* organization...and i envision a time
when we create practice groups not just in communities but in companies, so
managers end up holding space for each other as co-practitioners... no need for
outside OD people in OS cases... just a peer to come witness and hold space for
what is happening.   i think that managers and others who are doing the
operations of the org learning to hold space for each other is one equivalent
to having hold organizations 'wake up.'

Martin Leith wrote:

> My explanation is that a lot of people understand the systems and/or
> complexity view of the world cognitively, but their habits are firmly locked
> in the 'world is a machine' view, which is all about being an engineer,
> solving problems, keeping the machine running, having a fancy toolbox,
> looking like a good engineer. OS isn't fancy enough and doesn't fit into the
> toolbox.
>
> Martin*
>
> Martin Leith, Catalyst
> Creating a rapid shift from now to new
> (Download info pack: www.martinleith.com/martin/martin.doc)
> 17 Bedford Street, Brighton BN2 1AN, United Kingdom
> Phone 01273 675322 (+44 1273 675322)  Mobile 07808 773713 (+44 7808 773713)
> email ml at martinleith.com
> www.martinleith.com
> Visit:

Michael Herman