AW: The Oral - Visual lives next door

Michael Herman mherman at globalchicago.net
Sun Sep 22 12:19:50 PDT 2002

all sounds great to me, joelle.  of course, that's because i'm weird, too.
<grin>

but all these options brings to mind our mantra of 'one more thing to not do.'
which then also reminds me of my thumbnail planning list... invitation,
invitation list, space/time logistics and documentation.

the first three have always big conversations, but this thread and all of these
options here give much more life to the discussion of this fourth point....
documentation is not just documents... but for making real and making memorable
in ways that make more actionable.

makes me think now the last point on my short list should be 'ripples.'

thanks for this remembering, joelle.

Joelle Lyons Everett wrote:

> In a message dated 9/21/02 7:34:35 AM, mherman at globalchicago.net writes:
>
> << so what if we forget the computer room or move it over to make room for the
> conference kitchen?  the dance floor (not so uncommon) and other tasty,
> smelly,
> touchy processing places?  we do some of this already, of course.  but what if
> the evening meal *was* the proceedings and we all were able to take it fully
> into our beings?  would not the proceedings necessarily turn into becomings?
>  >>

> I've had some facilitation opportunities lately where I felt comfortable to
> expand beyond the verbal mode--so I have opened with drumming and brief
> poems, brought seasonal snacks (garden-fresh berries, roasted nuts) to share
> as we gather, preceded any verbal work with relaxation, visualization or
> drawing.
>
> For a daylong workshop, we invited participants to bring something for a
> potluck lunch--it was a sumptuos feast, high levels of thoughtfulness and
> loving energy invested in the meal.  And around the table, we moved into a
> deep conversation about personal change, and how, in making changes we wish
> for at a cognitive level, it helps a lot to pay attention to the needs of our
> senses and feelings.  I could not have designed a presentation on that
> subject with as much meaning as what unfolded.
>
> The results have been great, high levels of creativity and commitment to move
> to action on plans.
>
> I've also done a very successful Open Space where I'm told that using Tibetan
> chimes to call the group to quiet was considered pretty weird.  But the OS
> and the effects on the organization have been absolutely great, and I really
> don't mind if someone thinks I'm weird.
>
> I do think, Michael, that you are on the right track!
>
> Joelle

> Visit:

Michael Herman
300 West North Avenue #1105