AW: The Oral - Visual lives next door

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Sun Sep 22 11:53:28 PDT 2002

In a message dated 9/21/02 7:34:35 AM, mherman at globalchicago.net writes:

<< so what if we forget the computer room or move it over to make room for the
conference kitchen?  the dance floor (not so uncommon) and other tasty,
smelly,
touchy processing places?  we do some of this already, of course.  but what if
the evening meal *was* the proceedings and we all were able to take it fully
into our beings?  would not the proceedings necessarily turn into becomings?

I've had some facilitation opportunities lately where I felt comfortable to
expand beyond the verbal mode--so I have opened with drumming and brief
poems, brought seasonal snacks (garden-fresh berries, roasted nuts) to share
as we gather, preceded any verbal work with relaxation, visualization or
drawing.

For a daylong workshop, we invited participants to bring something for a
potluck lunch--it was a sumptuos feast, high levels of thoughtfulness and
loving energy invested in the meal.  And around the table, we moved into a
deep conversation about personal change, and how, in making changes we wish
for at a cognitive level, it helps a lot to pay attention to the needs of our
senses and feelings.  I could not have designed a presentation on that
subject with as much meaning as what unfolded.

The results have been great, high levels of creativity and commitment to move
to action on plans.

I've also done a very successful Open Space where I'm told that using Tibetan
chimes to call the group to quiet was considered pretty weird.  But the OS
and the effects on the organization have been absolutely great, and I really
don't mind if someone thinks I'm weird.

I do think, Michael, that you are on the right track!

Joelle