OS in oral cultures

Harrison Owen owenhh at mindspring.com
Wed Sep 18 05:05:49 PDT 2002

At 07:07 AM 9/18/2002 +0200, you wrote:
>thank you for the information who has experiences.
>I have to admit, that the consultant told me after reading my first
>posting to the group, that I had not really understood his doubts.
>He had simply meant that it would be impossible to aply the OST
>"standard format", not that he did not believe that an adaptation to
>the specific conditions of mental/f2f-communicative cultures. So I am
>sorry that I presented his position wrong in the group.

I confess that I have been on the boat (in The Office) and have not
followed this whole strand -- so it may be that I am (as usual) a day late
and a dollar short. But, if the question is the applicability of OS in
Non-literate situations (is that what an Oral Culture is?) -- it is
probably worth while noticing that this is where it all began. Every time I
have the pleasure of working with such a group I feel very much that I am
carrying coals to New Castle. It is already there in spades. As for
reports, The Talking Drum does fine as does the Village Story Teller. I
guess it is we who are making the modifications.

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, MD 20854 USA