Open Space in Oral Cultures

Robert.Chaffe at nre.vic.gov.au Robert.Chaffe at nre.vic.gov.au
Mon Sep 16 16:57:49 PDT 2002

Writing things down in some of cultures gives the data status, sometimes way
beyond its substance - "I read it in the papers it must be right".

I find when I work outside that paper and pens do not fit well.   I  ask the
participants to tell me how they will remember the substance of their meeting.
It might be a twig from a tree that the participant uses as a prompt for their
story.  It might be a song or a poem or a chant or dance or some theatre.....etc

In fact one of the most moving and deeply insightful report from one group was
some theatre combined with a song.  The stakeholders were completely won over.
The validation was in the delivery.

Oral cultures - this is not a barrier to effective communication it means that
we might have to stretch the participants and the stakeholders to a higher level
of commitment and action beyond the paper report.  It might mean that everyone
has to listen and watch more closely.

Win win dialogue usually has much more watching and listening than talking and
taking control by being the person with the pen.

Many times we set up our circle and then find that the participants bring their
"worry bags" (brief cases), pens and paper as  warriors put on their armor and
arrange their  weapons ready for battle.   The circle exposes these things, and
our pens and paper may be a vehicle to allow the transition of the participants
into Open Space but  we don't have to stay there.  Trust and respect don't need
paper and pens.

The fundamental drivers of passion and commitment should be grown/developed
through the "meeting"  to the point that everyone knows that the messages/action
etc will be taken forward.  In fact I believe that in some cultures a written
contract is looked upon as an insult.  I then ask what does this say about the
written proceedings?

Rob