Open Space in Oral Cultures

Glory Ressler on.the.edge at sympatico.ca
Mon Sep 16 09:18:58 PDT 2002

  Bernd,
I echo the sentiments of others who say YES! it can be done and you are
the person to do it!

I recently facilitated on OS on community -based program development for
people with developmental disabilities... by and large an illiterate
group with varying levels of cognitive impairment. I can attest to how
well they self-organized (announcing their topics in the circle, using
symbols and finding other ways to capture their learning - asking that
those who can read and write capture some notes and share them,
pictures, etc...). Closing comments expressed deep excitement and
satisfaction, clear ideas for new services, and champions to track the
progress of programs. I ran into one of the participants with a
developmental disability the other day at a restaurant ( 1 1/2 months
after the meeting) - she not only remembered me and the OS experience,
she was still talking about her passion for certain services and what
she's doing about that.

I suspect that the organizers, facilitators and animators will have the
most problem with using OS - they are used to feeling all tidy and in
control.

Best wishes,
glory