Re-opening during one day OST meetings

Michael Herman mherman at globalchicago.net
Mon Sep 16 14:56:23 PDT 2002

the way i've done this, thomas, is to...

1.  give a half hour or so for processing and production of one-flipchart-page
gallery pages, one per topic.  this time is for making and reviewing what's
posted.  then...

2. reopen the space, which happens much faster.  the theme/question is
essentially 'so what? now what?  who's going to do what?'  sort of thing.
posting the topics to be worked on over the next several weeks or months.
figure another 30 minutes.

3.  depending on group size and number of issues, scope of issues, some more
time, maybe 30 minutes again for action planning on these issues... what next
meeting needed, what is purpose (invitation), who's invited, what needs
doing/discovering before the meeting to make it most productive?  when and
where is next meeting?  the usual sorts of stuff.

so far, i think this is in line with your schedule and also you see how it can
fit into what would normally be the last 1,5-hour time slot.

4.  then take your hour to close.

michael

Thomas Herrmann wrote:

> Dear Michael and others who have given this re-opening"-stuff" so much
> thought.
> I have been thinking about if/how to use this in my planned (and already
> designed)OST meetings. I can see a possibility in a few weeks where we have
> 1,5 days (remember my sheepfarmers). I hope they like the idea.
>
> I have another one coming on sooner. A one day OST (8.30 am to 6pm) with an
> insurance company (160 persons will participate). The manager is one of the
> few I ever met who seemed to understand and like the OST idea right away.
> The theme is quite open and focuses on customer relations.
>
> My concern in this case is that it is hard to find enough time to read
> reports before re-opening, but that is the same actually before voting. In
> cases like I usually let the participants vote on the subjects raised
> instead of the reports. Again, I emphasize that this is all about getting a
> broad picture of where the energy runs the highest - all reports are in the
> book.
>
> So far I planned:
> 30 minutes check in and coffee
> 1 hour for opening, marketplace.
> Then 3 timeslots of 1,5 hours (one hour lunchbrake in between)
> 1 hour for voting and grouping related issues.
> 45 minutes for giving input to top-issues + individual commitments + coffee
> and mingling around.
> Finally one hour for closing.
>
> This will be my longest one-day event, I hope they don´t get too exhausted.
> They will have a party in the evening as well!
>
> Any thoughts appreciated!
> Best regards
> Thomas Herrmann         Phone +46 (0)709-98 97 81
> Open Space Consulting   Fax   +46 (0)300-713 89
> Pensévägen 4
> 434 46 Kungsbacka, Sweden
> Email: thomas at openspaceconsulting.com
> www.openspaceconsulting.com