Open Space in Oral Cultures

Bernd Weber weberb at gmx.at
Mon Sep 16 08:52:09 PDT 2002

Judy,

yes it helps-a lot!

S1) "to people the topics" YEAHH
S2) symbols or pictures for other topics.
Brings me back to the old idea to ask the people who already know a
topic to bring an object or symbold for it with them when they
gather.
S3) Documentalists/Scribes for each group?
Possible, but since we try to develop a "model" (in my understanding:
a social simulation including the simulation category 'resource
level') which should be broadly appliable also when there is no more
external project with extra resources, (this sustainability criteria
makes the solution space even scarcer) there are no scribes. In the
traditional communities of the interior usually only the chief (of
several communities) has 1 scribe (for communication with the
external world based on written language). But there have to be
compromises if externalized documentation is necessary: either paper
and markers/finger colours? for drawing, or throw-away-or digital
camera to take pictures of the (traditional) sand-drawings.

Q4: But is externalized documentation in an oral culture necessary?
In alphabetic cultures the documents is/or can be an indicator for
committment and guarantee, that the x-process output can be
transformed in an x+1process-input. But oral tradition seems to build
up a complex system of documentalist-stories.

-----
weberb at gmx.at, on 16.09.2002 at 17:33:37 (GMT/UT + 02:00)