Conference on healthy organizations, paradox R us...

Meg Salter meg.salter at sympatico.ca
Wed Sep 11 19:15:42 PDT 2002

Probably not !! - altho' I'm interested in seeing that such conferences are
being held.
I know of Glenda Eoyang, one of their faculty. She has a book out,
"Facilitating Organizational Change: Lessons from Complexity Science", part
of the Practicing OD series, that is pretty good. That is, I found the
theory pretty good, and some of the exercises still pretty rational/ linear.

The BEST book that I have read lately (summer reading!) is "Complexity and
Management: Fad or radical challenge to systems thinking?", the latest by
Ralph Stacey, in conjunction with colleagues D. Griffin and Patricia Shaw.
It's erudite, thorough, has no easy prescriptions or cute pictures, and so
probably won't make any business best seller lists! He argues (persuasively,
to me) that most of the people active in this area are coming from the same
old place, and just using new language (ie a new fad!). He seems to have
some knowledge of Appreciative Inquiry, and none of OpenSpace (so at least
he doesn't trash H.O. or OST!) and what he's talking about has something to
do with the practice of peace - I think!

Meg Salter

MegaSpace Consulting
416/486-6660
meg.salter at sympatico.ca