The magic that happens...

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Mon Sep 2 14:00:48 PDT 2002

OK, Doug--I don't have any real proof here, but here are some of my beliefs:

I believe that humans are naturally self-organizing and self-healing, but we
often fall into bad habits, or are forced into unnatural modes of being by
the rules and practices of organizations, society, family of origin, etc.

I believe that it is often possible to arrange for people to re-experience
their natural creativity and self-healing through an event which temporarily
changes "the rules of the game."  Open Space does this, I've seen similar
results (maybe on a different scale) by something as simple as enforcing
brainstorming rules in a meeting, or with playful events.

I believe that the facilitator's non-anxious presence helps, and whatever
practice might be required to enable one to remain present and non-anxious in
a chaotic situation.

What I have experienced in Open Space and some other significant places in my
life is that in such an environment, something in me opens, something
releases, something is released--soemtimes grief and tears, sometimes joy and
creativity.

My two cents' worth,

Joelle