The magic that happens...

Julie Smith jsmith at mosquitonet.com
Sun Sep 1 11:17:47 PDT 2002

Doug,

Thanks so much for sharing the web site of the Guru of Glee.  You and I
seem to be in sync again.  Just before checking my e-mail this morning I
was happily reading Silver Bullets, a games book written by Project
Adventure folks.  I especially loved the new term I learned at the
deepfun website:  CoLiberation.  "You want for me what I want for me.
Your courage encourages me.  Your happiness delights me.  Your health
heals me."   Ahhhhhh......

As I learn how to be and learn with groups of people, the two most
fascinating tools I'm working with are OST and games/fun/play.  Both are
liberating and joyful means to connect.  When we held our Becoming A
Peacemaker conference in Fairbanks last April, we also invited Peace
Games people to help us learn more about playing games as a means for
deep learning about ourselves and each other. Many in our school
district are developing a passion for fun and games these days.

A few months ago, someone here wrote something about how we often enter
a trance state that slows us down and dulls us.  Perhaps it's simply
that both OST and fun liberate us from the trance and help us be more
fully aware and alive to who we are.

Now that I'm writing, I can't resist telling this story....

On Friday I spent some time with two high school classes, introducing
them to the idea of OST.  I wanted to invite them to think about
sponsoring an OST in their school on September 11.  The second class I
spoke with wanted to go along with the idea, but couldn't really connect
with what I was trying to describe.  One of the students asked if we
could just do it.  How could any student of Harrison ignore such a
question?  So we just did it.  We were already seated in a circle.  We
spent a few minutes defining a theme, and came up with "respect."  We
did what might have been the shortest opening in the history of open
space (less than 3 minutes, I think), then spent a few minutes posting
three topics, and then 10 minutes in their sessions. I think we spent
less than 1/2 hour completing the entire experience. When we came back
to the full group to debrief and talk about what happened, I saw
sparkling eyes, smiles, enthusiasm, and self-assurance.  YES, they said,
we could sponsor an event like this, and YES, we want to.  And..... two
of the quietest students in the class became active and vocal advocates
of the process.  In the small sessions they gained courage to speak
their truth, and then translated that courage to speak their truth with
the large group.  It was a heartwarming experience.

If all goes well, the mediation classes from these two high schools will
be sponsoring OST events in their schools on September 10 and 11.  I
don't know yet what their themes will be, or who they will invite, but
it is a joy to me to part of this creative enterprise.  When I look into
their eyes and see life and energy bursting out, and when I listen and
hear laughter, then I know that whatever has happened to get us here is
very good.

Julie