Migration and Xenophobia

Pannwitz, Michael M mmpanne at snafu.de
Sun Sep 29 08:44:22 PDT 2002

Dear Karyn,
my main learnings at the Forum in Vienna were:
-to really make some progress in the field of migration and
xenophobia we should forget integrating migrants or foreigners but
focus on the conditions that would foster productive and happy
colaboration and development
-one of the conditions that make sense to me (and there are certainly
a host of others) are the "intercultural opening" of organisations,
systems, agencies, corporations, unions, political parties,
neighborhoods, bodies of government, foundations, eit, the
fs-network......all systems in our societies....without the focus on
"integration" but with the focus on "richness in diversity"
-another one is the focus on "open labor force" because I think that
my and our experience in daily life is the workplace, working
together in whatever form in a transcultural labor setting will
create a culture of the future without "programs" (in this arena the
transnational corporations could be important partners as they
discover that it means a cutting edge advantage to have a
multicultural workforce, creativity, resilience, discovering new
approaches, etc. is simply limited in homogeneous groups)
-another one is the developemt and use in all walks of life of
"participation enhancing" infrastructures, right, you probably
guessed it, the introduction and much more widespread use especially
of such tools as future search and open space (theGerman Government
has just issued a report of the Enquete Commission on the "civil
society" with the support of "participation enhancing
infrastructures" as one of their central findings)
-another impulse I got is to look at my own work, my network (berlin
open space cooperative - boscop), my trainings (an international
os-training is coming up in Weimar in May 2003: what are we investing
in having a training and assistance team that will concretely reflect
these findings in its structure?)
-in Vienna, I had the experience of talking to people like myself
about issues such as migration and xenophobia without migrants being
present, now that I experienced as very limiting...I will work on
other kinds of settings when myself responsible for organizing
meetings, conferences, open space, future search
-and a dream I have is to live and work and to participate in that
completely open (to many:threatening, to others:challenging, to
others:promising) experiment of the European Expansion (not
colonilization) with a dozen or so "foreign, alien, different, etc."
countries, cultures, systems, etc.mingling into the "existing"
mixture of in many ways "foreign, alien, different, etc." European
Union....and that again in the context of a world community

What I find comforting in this "mess" is that people like you and all
of my colleagues are involved with their heart in these questions,
searching without recipes.
I am sending our dialog to the fs and os networks where many strands
of discussion and search are running synchroneously around these
issues.

Keep in touch
michael

PS: I am also sending this to colleagues who were in Vienna .... they
are sure to report on other learnings in this arena.

--Original Message Text---
From: Ktraderleigh at cs.com
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 19:03:06 EDT

Hello Michael. I am a member of future search net work and saw your
note to Begnt re the future search conference in Sweden (which I
attended), the reason I am writing you however is because I was
interested in your comments on the conference you are attending in
Vienna EIT on "Migration and Xenophobia in Europe"... I am very
interested in what some of the leanings are from that conference and
what European institutions are doing in response to it. I live in the
US and do a lot of work on cross cultural issues and will be talking
with a group at the US State department which includes some Europeans
so I am most interested in what is happening. If you have any
comments that you can share with me I would be most pleased to hear
from you.
PS the Sweden conference was wonderful.
Karyn Trader-Leigh
Dr. Karyn Trader-Leigh
KTA/Global Partners
5915 Parkridge Lane
Alexandria, VA 22310
ktraderleigh at cs.com
703 922 6296 Office; 703 922 9476 Fax
www.Acatalyst4change.com

Michael M Pannwitz
boscop
Draisweg 1
12209 Berlin, Germany
FON +49 - 30-772 8000     FAX +49 - 30-773 92 464
www.michaelmpannwitz.de

An der E-Gruppe "openspacedeutsch" für deutschsprechende open
space-PraktikerInnen interessiert? Enfach eine mail an mich.