AW: [GF] WG: records without texts

Visuelle Protokolle mail at visuelle-protokolle.de
Sun Sep 22 03:31:31 PDT 2002

Jago -you wrote:

Amazing stuff!  The lawyers must hate you ―  all their tightly defined words
sidestepped so neatly.  ;-)

"So we continued and made 1300 drawings, compressed them into 800 drawings,
clustered and grouped them into 36 sections, gave a short introduction and
method description and printed the final report (three volumes). Both the
directors and the planners got a detailed insight into the company they
could not have got by any other medium."
I have many more questions than comments or contributions.  How big were the
drawings?  How did you cluster such a large number of drawings:  common
themes?  common graphical elements?  Was the group involved in the
clustering?

funny that you mention the lawyers! Another big job was cancelled by the
lawyers, who were not interested in pictures showing the diversity of the
process, only in pictures confirming the anticipated outcome!

But to you questions:

The drawings are small, 15x21 cm each. We clustered them by throwing all of
them on one big heap and searching for inherent common themes. We had
started with pictures from 25 interviews and come out with 36 thematical
sections. they were more especially because we had not anticipated so many
answers in the field of conditions of wellbeing at work.

At that time we did not involve the groups in the clustering, today we
would. Where we were very careful to involve everybody was the confirmation
of the drawings. Not only that we asked each group after the interview,
wether they felt understood by the pictures we also made little brochures
with the drawings from each group and gave them for two days to the group,
and each participant could change the drawings as he wanted, and finally had
to sign on the front page accepting the document as true.

Reinhard

VISUELLE PROTOKOLLE
Kuchenmueller & Dr. Stifel

Munich Germany