Hearing Impaired OS Participants

Fr Brian S Bainbridge briansb at mira.net
Thu Sep 12 16:06:53 PDT 2002

For Joan Smith
Dear Joan
I learnt the importance of keeping moving around the circle when I was a
mixed group of deaf and hearing participants.
They were all using sign language and as soon as I got in the road of the
vision between signers and readers/"listeners", there was an immediate set
of grunts and warnings and ?move along"s which kept me going and kept the
communication alive and very well.
The Open Space was a huge success, however one measures that.  And the
following Open Space with reps of the various modes of deaf communication
was even more marvellous in that there wasn't (they said) any real
in-fighting between the various proponents of different approaches to
communication between deaf and hearing people - for the very first time,
they said!
So, where signing is used, the "walking the circle" is perhaps even more
important than ever.
Cheers and blessings,   BRIAN.