Surprise

ICA Taiwan icataiw at ms69.hinet.net
Sun Sep 8 20:37:30 PDT 2002

I was all prepared for a weekend at home as the whole city was
totally closed down to wait out a typhoon - wind, rain, flooding -
when I got a call from an OS colleague from Singapore who was in
Taiwan doing a regional program for 35 associates from 10 Asian
countries from his international law firm.  The person doing
Saturday's training was not able to get here from the US, so what to
do?

With a few hours of planning it was decided to go with Open Space.
The Regional Executive came on board, the theme was created, formal
invitations written and delivered late at night, and the facility was
set up.  Just before we began the following morning, the person
acting as sponsor was called away, so John filled in for him as well
as being the facilitator.  And it worked surprisingly well, though
that certainly isn't what I would ordinarily choose.  It was a
marvelous learning experience for all of us and a bit awesome in the
midst of the storm - which moved on in time for folks to catch planes
home.

I was reminded how easy it is to get in a rut about the way we do
things.  So was grateful for the opportunity of being really
surprised - working with someone I didn't know, a group of people I'd
not had the opportunity of meeting yet from an unfamiliar profession,
picking up insights from the recent Singapore OS training - a quite
unknown situation all around.

Looking forward to more in Australia in a few months.

Gail

--
Gail West, ICA
3F, No. 12, Lane 5, Tien Mou West Road