democracy, voting et al

kerry napuk k at napuk.demon.co.uk
Thu Sep 5 07:56:29 PDT 2002

Hello

I would like to make the following comments on recent emails:

1. Regarding Birgitt's exploration of democracy, I always defined it
as "majority rule but minority rights protected."  While OST clearly
operates on many levels, the most fundamental one is participatory
democracy.  Participation leads to commitment and ownership, because
it involves free will, people organise their own agenda and work
where they want to go.

People are disenchanted with representatives democracy, because it is
too distant from the people.  Worse yet there is a massive layer
between the government and governed - the bureaucracy.  Democracy is
in crisis and needs to reinvent itself by promoting public
involvement on a large scale.

2. Regarding Michael's "why vote," we were asked by the sponsor to
seek priorities from four minority communities - Asian, Affrican &
Carribean, Chinese and Asylum Seekers and Refugees.  If we had the
luxury of 2.5 days for people to work out detailed actions plans, of
course we wouldn't need to vote.  But all our events are one day or
less and closure is needed to create a programme for post event
implementation.

On the other hand, we are moving towards consolidation, especially in
large events.  For example, the 31 May event on young people focused
on schools and education, because most of the priorities were voted
that way.  It is immaterial if the top priority gets implemented or
not, there might be several reasons why that is the case.  What
matters is that some outcomes go somewhere if they have the energy
and support.  But that's up to the Community, not us.  We may want to
see actions, because it values the event and our work, but that's not
within our ken.

3. Regarding Peggy's remarks about voting and consensus, why bring
people together if they can't exchange ideas and reach consensus
about going forward to create a better future.  People have to find
each other and learn to work together.  Not everyone has a paradigm
shift, but most people recognise OST is a different way of working
and appreciate it, because it enshrines values of equal participation
and, yes, even one person one vote.  I have seen incredible energy
and movement in a six hour event with 60% or more participants
signing up to implement priorities.  There is nothing wrong with
that.  In fact, it's wonderful!

4. Regarding Judi's comment on voting, we find that energy rises when
people get to the wall and vote.  There is a big buzz and it neatly
finishes the business of the day, setting up the closing ceremony.

I believe voting is very appropriate in short events and acts as a
positive bridge back to the organization, not a return to tired old
ways.

Regards

Kerry
Open Futures