evaluation

kerry napuk k at napuk.demon.co.uk
Wed Sep 4 02:30:33 PDT 2002

Hi

I would like to share an evaluation from a recent event.

The event was held on 31 May with 230 participants including 30 young
people with some self-harmers and 200 adults as parents, teachers,
healthcare professionals, social workers and staff from voluntary
organisations.
The theme was "What do we do NOW about young people self-harm and
suicide?"

The event was sponsored by the Mental Health Foundation and
Samaritans.  There were two independent evaluators on the day, one
from the Trust for Adolescence and the other from Bernardos.  The
interview response rates were 80% for young people and 46% from adults.

Some highlights were as follow:

* 7 young people felt it would alter the way they approach and deal
with issues of suicide and self-harm

* 4 young people commented on finding the event therapeutic in coping
with self-harm

* 8 young people felt respected and listened to, the event was helpful in
considering different perspectives and affirming of themselves and
the way they deal with issues of self-harm

* 8 young people commented on how much they enjoyed the Open Space Format

* 58 adults felt they would change their views and approaches to
suicide and self-harm as a result of this event

* 31 adults commented on how much they liked the Open Space Format

The 11 page report is filled with quotations reflecting changed
attitudes and future behaviour.  We all know that open space can move
people, but this is the first time Open Futures received formal evidence.
This is an example of change in a very difficult area.   What is more
remarkable is that the event lasted for six hours.

Are there any examples you want to share?

Cheers

Kerry Napuk
Open Futures Ltd.
Edinburgh