mental meanderings and self-organization

Pannwitz, Michael M mmpanne at snafu.de
Mon Oct 28 13:56:25 PST 2002

Dear Julie,
Gunnar Hjelholt, Danish psychologist, wrote a book "Survival in the
organisation" on his experiences in a concentration camp.
He also makes the point that we create things in our image(s) and
tells this little story:

"Where do systems come from?
In the Jewish narrative of creation, the creation of man is mentioned
twice. The first time it is said that God created us equal to all
other creation, that is, like nature: Everything which has to do with
simple survival. The second time it is added that God created us in
his image, that is, as spirit. People are nature and spirit and the
two elements either struggle with each other or work together. Once
mankind had been made in this way, it then created the organization -
in its image. The wording "in its image" , means that we can not
create something out of nothing. We can not construct something that
does not have its roots in ourselves; and it appears as if what we
do, over and over again, is related to simple survival - to "nature"
rather than "spirit".
The organization of the concentration camp was not significantly
different from that of other systems we have developed over time."

Greetings from Berlin
michael

They posit the idea that self-organization is happening all
>the time, AND that we naturally self-organize around those beliefs/rules
>that we hold to be true. (This last part is new to me.  Can't quite get
>my mind completely around it.  Don't know if I agree with it.  Is that
>what we mean by self-organization as we use the term here?)

Michael M Pannwitz
boscop
Draisweg 1
12209 Berlin, Germany
FON +49 - 30-772 8000     FAX +49 - 30-773 92 464
www.michaelmpannwitz.de

An der E-Gruppe "openspacedeutsch" für deutschsprechende open space-PraktikerInnen interessiert? Enfach eine mail an mich.