mental meanderings and self-organization

Meg Salter meg.salter at sympatico.ca
Mon Oct 28 13:57:28 PST 2002

Hi Ralph and Julie
First off, I don't work much in the education system (first caveat) - unless
you count two kids in school!
If self-organizations is present since the big bang - is in fact how
evolution/ consciousness works.... then the seeing of this says more about
the seer than anything else. Gravity was always been there - it took a
certain mindset to develop theories around it. Self-organization is always
present - it takes a certain mindset to talk about the world that way. So I
actually don't think of self-organizing as going back to a natural harmony,
but going forward to our future potential. (..our past has not, as a
speices, actually been very harmonious).

Some interesting questions:
- Who is the self that does the organizing? (In the Boids example, it is
actually the computer modeller acting outside the system that sets the
parameters of the program. So yes, simple rules can yield complex results,
but this particular model does Not demonstrate novelty or creativity.) In
the education assumptions you talked about it is probably the teacher who
does most of the organizing. In most big corporations that I work with it is
the Boss who (attempts) much of the organizing.
- What/ who is it that is being organized? The lesson plan/ work flow? the
strategy? the participation? I think of it as ' how wide is the scope of the
net/web...?'
How might this vary with the students/ grade level.....? or with the
experience/ mandate of the teacher?
In OST terms, this is like defining the scope, themes and givens.
..........my meanderings joining yours!

Meg Salter

MegaSpace Consulting
416/486-6660