mental meanderings and self-organization

Julie Smith jsmith at mosquitonet.com
Mon Oct 28 12:01:41 PST 2002

Thanks Ralph,

Yes of course I agree with you.  But could you tell me again how it is
that we get back in harmony with the natural order?

Really.  Brass tacks.  Or, if you like, a pig's ear (softer, more
pliable and reslient, you know..... though perhaps less to the point
:)..... and also somewhat thoreauian, though I can never remember the
quote....)

I work for a school system.  With teachers.  With students.  I don't see
much self-organizing going on in schools.  Or rather, I don't see
open/safe/voluntary/equal self-organizing happening.  I see some
harmony, and also significant dis-harmony.  And not much that feels
natural to me.

Can we accept as a given that we'll be starting where we are?  Is it
enough, do you suppose, to simply take the next step as it presents
itself?  Help open space wherever and however I can?  (Don't bother
answering that one. Too easy. Been there, doing that, marvelous
results.)

Things get more murky and muddled for me (and for people who are
teachers) when I'm presented with the expectation that I TEACH
something..... or should I say, that I teach SOMETHING.  You know, those
times when I'm the Expert with ImportantInformationToImpart to
PeopleWhoNeedIt.

I could stop accepting that role of Expert Imparter of Information.  But
that doesn't really answer the question.  What about all of our teachers
and all of our students?  How can we structure learning that is in
harmony with the natural order?  I know I keep asking this question.....
I just haven't quite gotten it right yet.

How do we teach our children algebra?  Or does my question assume too
much already?  Do we need to teach?  Do we need to teach algebra?  When
all else falls away, what is it that we need to think/speak/do in the
world?

I'm getting ready for another open space with teachers next Saturday.
We ran out of time last week and forgot to define a theme for this week.
So now it's up to me.  In pondering and reading this weekend, I thought
about defining the theme like this:  "What do I believe about children?
What do I believe about education?  What do I believe about educating
children?"  I'm pulled toward inviting discussion about the core beliefs
that guide our actions.

There's just too much empty-open space in my head.... ideas just keep
bouncing around and landing in unusual places......

Julie

Ralph