What are the unstated assumptions and aims of OS?

Lisa Heft lisaheft at pacbell.net
Mon Oct 14 04:41:58 PDT 2002

Doug --

I love Joelle's idea of exploratory surgery, and using words known in
the medical field: 'best practices'.  It may also be helpful to let the
doctors know that this method has been used in many settings with
doctors - Anne Stadler's work at the Hutchison Cancer Research Center in
Washington State, is it? comes to mind.

Maybe if you pull together from a question on this list (new thread
title) peoples' experiences facilitating with
doctors/hospitals/healthcare settings that will help the doctor-types,
too.  Real specifics, with 'experts' and others (who we all know are
also experts in oh so many things).

Perhaps you could develop the theme with a traditionally facilitated
session at the first meeting.  I do this as part of my Intro to OST
learning workshops, right down to honing it down to the exact words.  I
do this the night before their Open Space, and they are eager to jump
right in the next day because the gathered folks have all participated
in setting and defining the theme.  I think the energy would hold for a
week apart meetings or whatever you've got - if you think it's too long
in-between you might send out a flyer full of energy reminding them to
save the time/date.

I've had people post sessions for a next day OS, too.  Excitement and
anticipation (even some anxiety for those who haven't experienced an OS)
hold them over to the next day.  But raising topics and letting it all
sit for days or a week?  Seems to me to not be helpful, as the topic
raising is a snapshot, as it were, of emerging thought and energy.
Wouldn't necessarily be the issues next week.

Instead I'd do any version of a full OS for 1, 2 or 3 hours.  I've done
45 minute sessions; even 30 minute ones.  It feels to me kind of hard to
switch so fast with those short sessions unless the group is
comfortable/experienced in OS.  Our dear colleague Laurel Doersam (hi,
dear colleague!) did ... help me remember here ... 1.5 hour OS's every
week with the staff in a hospital facility; after learning the bits they
just dived right in each week.

I agree with my colleagues; any speechifying drains all the air out of
the room: any one-way presentation that puts peoples' bodies in a
passive/receiving mode rather than a doing mode.

I've experienced a 1.5 hour, one-session OS with hundreds of people (at
the International Association of Facilitators conference); so I know
even one session would work (any size group).  In that case folks write
their session topic as they announce it and take the sign with them;
they had been instructed at the point after the announcement of topics
to walk to the wall and post their session and stand by it and groups
would form all around the room, same as any village marketplace.  The
group reconvened for a short closing circle.

As with all OS's, I'd push for bringing the greatest diversity of people
into the room - the whole system / whole ecology of the situation.  So
doctors, elders, family members, receptionists, whomever you can invite.
A much better picture of the issues and opportunities.

My two scents (sniff)

Lisa

L i s a   H e f t
Consultant, facilitator, educator