What are the unstated assumptions and aims of OS?

Chris Corrigan chris at chriscorrigan.com
Sun Oct 13 22:42:49 PDT 2002

Joelle eloquently opined:

>  I suspect that the "emergent" quality of an Open Space meeting is a
new
>  idea
>  to most doctors, who rely on research to test new ideas.  But maybe
you
>  can
>  find some analogies from the field of medicine that they could relate
to.
>  One that comes to my mind is "exploratory surgery," where neither the
>  cause
>  of the symptoms nor the remedy which will be required is known until
the
>  doctor goes in and discovers what is there.
>
>  One of the common difficulties in health care is the assumption of
some
>  doctors that they know everything.  But since they have hired you to
>  facilitate this meeting, I think that you can assume that part of
your
>  job is
>  to educate them about "best practices" in your field of expertise.

I just want to notice this amazing idea.  It is the thing I love most
about working as a consultant with an organization or community: finding
the story that fits to explain what OST does.  The idea of telling
linking OST to exploratory surgery is brilliant.

Running these damn things does bring out the poet in all of us, eh?

Chris

---
CHRIS CORRIGAN
Consultation - Facilitation