What are the unstated assumptions and aims of OS?

Don Ferretti DFerrett at placer.ca.gov
Fri Oct 11 10:21:51 PDT 2002

This reminds me that underneath all of the "facilitator" talk of process
and all that stuff. We are always in Open Space if we believe we are.
The opening of space from the circle is just a reminder of that for
those who have forgotten.

>>> lisaheft at PACBELL.NET 10/11/02 10:05AM >>>
Question:
Can we not do OS in 4 minutes, one on one, in our daily lives?

Answer:
Yes.

Gee.  For a minute there I felt like Ralph Copleman.  Succinct.
Concise.

But you know me folks, I blather on...

Speaking for myself, I practice the principles of OST (and when I am
good to myself, the Law of Two Feet) in my daily life.    And it
doesn't
take four minutes, because when you are floating in Open Space,
doesn't
that expand our now, to quote a famous gentleman?

And I think it's not 'one on one', for me...it's more like...one as
one...or one as all...

And on a more event design note, shorter OSs are perfectly fabulous,
I've found.  Thanks to dear Jeff Aitken for first stretching my mind
on
this.  I think it's important to know that if the goal is networking,
needs assessment, raising issues, spotting trends, airing concerns,
noticing what works, getting a snapshot, sharing passion, and so many
other things that come from emergence of thoughts, issues and
intuition,
the swirling of ideas and bubbling up of topics is amazing, even in
short timeframes.

But my experience is that if you want to then stuff people back into
the
shape of linear thinking to get to a 'therefore' (or a vote, or action
items) you want to give them more time.  And when passion is high
which
might include pain or grieving (either overt or hidden issues), I find
that people need first to tell the story (as many times as they need
to)
and to have others witness it...before they can move on to solution
thoughts.

My dos rubles,

Lisa
L i s a   H e f t