What makes OST work ???

Harrison Owen owenhh at mindspring.com
Tue Oct 8 06:58:47 PDT 2002

At 03:10 PM 10/8/2002 +0200, you wrote:
>--Original Message Text---
>From: Harrison Owen
>Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 07:50:45 -0400
>

>.... there has been precious little research done of the sort you are
>proposing.
>

>Dear Harrison,
>there have been 5 or 6 investigators at open space-projects that I have
>facilitated. All of them have written their mastersthesis or something
>like that (Diplomarbeit its called in German). Two of them conducted
>intensive interviews along the lines that Kerry Napuk is
>suggesting...during the event and at the follow up meetings. There has
>been at least one sociologist that did an intensive study on open space
>and the practise and theory of the marketplace, another researcher has
>done extensive work on open space as an investigation tool in scientific
>investigations, another on the use of open space in networking efforts.
>I certainly know just of a small slice of these investigations in Germany
>and would assume that there are dozends of such efforts completed and in
>progress.
>All of this is in German and I think some of the more theory-interested
>colleagues from Austria/Switzerland/Germany that are also on this list
>like Susanne Weber, Erich Kolenaty, Bernd Weber, Carol Maleh, Paul
>Krummenacher, etc. could provide more information.
>So its perhaps still precious little in the US but quite a bit in the
>German speaking realm.
>Greetings from Berlin with much respect for your "lazy person approach"
>michael

I knew the Germans could be counted on! Actually there have also been
several dissertations (PhD level) done here in the US. So there is indeed
"something." But it has always seemed strange to me that there has not be a
lot more. With all the talk about, and interest in, self- organizing
systems, emergent organization, and the like -- OST would seem to be a very
natural laboratory.

Harrison

>Michael M Pannwitz
>boscop
>Draisweg 1
>12209 Berlin, Germany
>FON +49 - 30-772 8000     FAX +49 - 30-773 92 464
>www.michaelmpannwitz.de
>
>An der E-Gruppe "openspacedeutsch" für deutschsprechende open
>space-PraktikerInnen interessiert? Enfach eine mail an mich.

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, MD 20854 USA
phone 301-365-2093