OST with children...

Elena A. Marchuk marco at mail.nsk.ru
Fri Oct 4 16:15:31 PDT 2002

Toni,
if you know the content, you will love it even more, but I have it only in
Russian,
the children made the work, which the Rotarians could be proud of and
envy... and all that at 10 o'clock in the evening (with 2 nights out of
sleep, two whole days of 'trainings' in fundrising and 'working with
population' which was really good but not 'garmonized' with the surrounding
nature (seating 8 hours on the windy and sunny place on the plastic chairs).
though they worked greatly, ... they love OS most of all and during 2 hours
total (half and hour for opening, rules and topics, 15 minutes for group
organizing and watching each other... and then great work with discussions
in 2 short sessions of half an hour and closing when practically ALL have
some comments for... 30 seconds on average with deep thoughts... and wishes
to provide next Rotaract assambly in the way of OS, which will be held soon
for West Siberia Rotaract on the 18-21 of October in Kemerovo, as not many
people could go from West Siberia to Irkutsk on Baikal lake (though there
were like 40 people from 17 cities...)

I thought that they will not come... after diner, after hard work during 2
days of workshop and not sleeping at nights... and you could see the faces
on the opening (not very much delighted, as they were thinking of some more
trainings may be)... and the faces at the end, when even shaman has to wait
some 5-10 minutes, while the participants finished their 'closing' words...

and after Future Search Conference - YOUTH FORUM (for last year students of
the high shool (it would be for you) and students from the universities of
the first years) with the name"How to envolve young people in social
programs" with the 2 hours OS at the end... one of the boys came to me and
said: it was like on the other planet. We were listened, we were heard, we
worked so great!

well, it looks like that young people also don't know how to be meaningful
and find the way to do great things and rearly are given the chance to say
their words and be involved.

I'm very happy we can give it to them. and ... are going to make another OS
for free... as a Rotarian

the young people are the 'emerging' surgace of the country, and it is very
nice to be with them!
I even declare the special course in our Novosibirsk State University
"Democratic Ways of management in organizations and communities" as I have a
lot of practice with adults... and .. we have to start with young people as
well though now sponsoring it, but it is easier to teach young people then
to re-teach grown ups.

best wishes

elena