OS with children: What are the unstated assumptions and aims of OS?

Elena A. Marchuk marco at mail.nsk.ru
Sun Oct 20 21:07:48 PDT 2002

OK, dear folks,

I'm back from the one more training with Rotaracts of West Siberia, which
was held in the city Kemerovo, last weekend,
they were also about 40 as on the Olkhon Island on the Baikal lake, but from
4 cities: Novosibirsk, Tomsk, Kemerovo and Barnaul, but... half of them came
just to see each other and were happy to seat somewhere and have some drinks
and talks and about a half came next morning to the OST meeting.

well, whoever comes are the right people,

and they started with 16 questions, which we posted for the 4 sessions, ...
3 - before lunch, and 1 after but as the questions were 'a sort of a close'
, like "how we can make our club more effective?", "how to envolve new
members?" , how can a new member 'realize' her/him self in a club, and so
on, the reglaments and shedules, whether they should 'punish' people if the
come not often... and so on...
... they a sort of died up to the end

and as I said the OS test was successfully passed by 10 people, who made 13
reports and we made them in book of proceeding EVEN, so after dinner we
congratulate them with the successful work and results.... but there were no
projects so we decided that we will 'play' with them a little in the
evening - there were about 15-20 people while doing an exercise on
'consensus' in organization (Rotaract) and decided with my collegue, that we
will 'work' with them on projects, next morning. so there were again about
12-15 people (they moved around and go away and then come, joining some
groups), but there were 4 projects worked on and the trainer promissed to
send them to me and we both would watch the results of each other training
in future,

so (that was my previous experience with the group of the Open World
Program) and the same here, that our people and children are not thinking in
terms of goals and budgets and projects, just in the type of Chernishevsky
Question "What to do?" but the problem is that russians are closer to the
eastern way of thinking - the orientation on the process, not on the
result... so it was the same again... we need to 'lead' our people to
'result-thinking'

so, yes, what ever happens, happens, but What to do?

The people who were on Olkhon said, that it was much better, when
concentrated, only 2 hours gave them best results.

I don't think it is exactly so, as there were more motivated people, and
here was half of the group 'having party' so some people thought: "why I
should 'work?", though not all , as I saw, but without more exprienced
people, no practice, they could not go to the project orientation..

how do you think?

OK
best wishes to all

elena marchuk