Moving from "help me think this through"..

Winston Kinch kinch at rogers.com
Sat Oct 5 05:58:35 PDT 2002

John, I appreciate your comment on Ted's question (below), and also the way
it is phrased. It leads me to make this observation and ask this question.
There have been a number of  threads over the past while, Ted's being the
latest, which have touched on the question of the facilitator's involvement
in the "content" of OS meetings. There are clearly divergent opinions on
this, just as there were (still are?) on the topic of "convergence". There
are those (unless I am alone in this opinion) who hold that the facilitator
should "hold the space" but not intervene except to ward off space
invaders - in other words overt interventions only when necessary, and then
only process related. Others clearly, and in good spirit as you have just
demonstrated, think the facilitator may properly also be a topic convener,
for example.  This is well and good as there is presumably no one "right"
or "best" way to open space as a facilitator...  or is there, at least on
this question?

Does this community converge (:-)) around either of these positions? Or is
the answer context (theme, group) dependent? Or does the answer perhaps
depend on the level of consciousness the facilitator brings to the
situation?

Winston