confessions of a space invader

Michael Herman mherman at globalchicago.net
Wed Nov 27 14:40:32 PST 2002

welcome out of lurkerland, dave!

David Frey wrote:

> he process probably won't continue in open space,
> but it will continue in some form as long as there is the energy to do so.

don't see how the process could continue in anything other than open space
with you and julie around, even if it's called a bunch of other things!

> In following the open space listserv discussion for several months, I have
> noticed a telescopic focus the single event at the expense of the whole
> process.  In my own mind, the open space event is always a snapshot in the
> continually unfolding process of an organization.  In my opinion, what
> preceeds and follows the OS event,-- especially what follows it -- is much
> more important than the OS event itself.  This is true even if the OS event
> is awesome and inspiring.

it seems that folks mostly used to say 'ost won't work.'  then it became,
'won't work with our people.'  then 'what if nobody comes' and more recently
'what if they don't post any topics'  (which is sometimes veiled as 'we need a
keynote, warmup act, etc.)... but more and more, people seem to be starting at
this place of after, and how it leads to action, and are more open to the
ongoing.  so i think you're exactly right and i'm looking forward to more here
about how open space might be dissolving into everyday business practice,
labeled as open space or not.

thanks, julie and dave and the rest....

> I believe that the interest and feelings
> generated by "Unleashing the Drama" will lead the teens wherever they have
> the energy to go -- guided by the concern and experience of the adults that
> are involved with them.  I have no idea where the process will lead, but
> I'll find out more in an hour!
>
> Curiously,
> Dave
>
> Dave Frey
> Drug Prevention/School Safety Coordinator
> Tanana Middle School
> 600 Trainor Gate Road
> Fairbanks, Alaska 99701
> (907) 452-8145 ex. 1-110