confessions of a space invader

Harrison Owen owenhh at mindspring.com
Wed Nov 27 14:08:45 PST 2002

At 08:02 AM 11/27/2002 -0900, Julie wrote:
>I feel like a mad scientist with way too many changing variables:
>dramatically shortened time frame exacerbated by food as a significant
>distraction, new opening, unintentional space invading, inadequate
>preparation of adult participants in an event intended for youth...
>
>And still... I'm glad we did it.  It was a new and interesting
>experience for all of us.  The problem was named.  The intentions were
>good.  People talked.  We all did the best we could with what we knew at
>the time.  Thinking back on it, it feels good to me.   I like the energy
>of movement and engagement, even when it feels more like stumbling than
>gliding.   I just like the fact that we were all in the room together,
>trying.

I never met an Open Space I didn't learn from, and very few I didn't like.
sounds like you are continuing the tradition. Also sounds like there was a
lot of learning. At some level it reminds me of the OS I described a while
back as the OS from Hell. 50% of the participants, who happened to be Feds,
had been told by their superiors that they could only "observe". Of course
nobody told me anything about it -- and they then had the temerity to
complain about the low level of energy and lack of creativity. Now, how
energetic or creative could you be if a bank of federal agents (who
evaluated and paid for the program you worked for) were all staring at
you???? And the amazing thing was -- there was energy and there was
creativity. God love the Human Spirit. It always comes through, even when
we do our damnedest to keep it down. Keep on truck'in.

ho

>Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, MD 20854 USA