confessions of a space invader

Chris Corrigan chris at chriscorrigan.com
Wed Nov 27 12:36:15 PST 2002

Dave:

Great post, and really valuable for clarifying what so many of us take
for granted.  Reports here seem telescopic because they are, and there
are very few events that get reported on this list by participants.  So
your post adds a lot for me, and contains some really valuable truths
about how we as facilitators are able to see what has happened.

I learned a while ago, after a really bad OS experience that many people
described as the greatest thing ever, that "letting go" applies to
results too.  And it applies to how we evaluate what we did in OS as
facilitators.  It's really really hard to let go of the pair of
self-critical eyes that prevents us from seeing what others see.

Your post restores that vision really nicely. Thanks,

Chris

---
CHRIS CORRIGAN
Consultation - Facilitation
Open Space Technology

Bowen Island, BC, Canada
http://www.chriscorrigan.com
chris at chriscorrigan.com

David
>  Frey
>  Sent: Wednesday, November 27, 2002 12:35 PM
>  To: OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU
>  Subject: Re: confessions of a space invader
>
>  Greetings Everyone!
>  This is my very first posting, though I have been an avid OSLIST
reader
>  for
>  many months.  I feel called to offer another perspective about the
>  "Unleash
>  the Drama" open space that I helped to organize.  I observed Julie's
>  opening.  She wisely abbreviated her planned "breathing" exercise,
and
>  went
>  more directly into the instructions.  The disapproving energy that
she
>  felt
>  actually came from (in my opinion) a small contingent of the group
>  --perhaps 6 to 8 of the teen girls (out of approximately 40 teen
girls
>  and
>  7 adults.)  The breakout session that I participated in (titled "free
for
>  all") was positive and helpful --though far too short.  The girls
>  acknowledged important problems to each other such as
rumor-spreading,
>  making assumptions, etc.  They resisted my mild attempts to steer the
>  discussion toward solutions; it wasn't time yet.  I know that there
were
>  some "difficulties" at some of the sessions, but no arguments,
fights,
>  etc.
>  I attribute this to the normal communication shortcomings of the
>  participants, both students and adults.  The closing circle that
Julie
>  described as "chillier than usual," I would describe as "positive and
>  uneventful."
>
>  I realize the above description might sound defensive, but one point
I'm