confessions of a space invader

David Frey dfrey at northstar.k12.ak.us
Wed Nov 27 12:35:06 PST 2002

Greetings Everyone!
This is my very first posting, though I have been an avid OSLIST reader for
many months.  I feel called to offer another perspective about the "Unleash
the Drama" open space that I helped to organize.  I observed Julie's
opening.  She wisely abbreviated her planned "breathing" exercise, and went
more directly into the instructions.  The disapproving energy that she felt
actually came from (in my opinion) a small contingent of the group
--perhaps 6 to 8 of the teen girls (out of approximately 40 teen girls and
7 adults.)  The breakout session that I participated in (titled "free for
all") was positive and helpful --though far too short.  The girls
acknowledged important problems to each other such as rumor-spreading,
making assumptions, etc.  They resisted my mild attempts to steer the
discussion toward solutions; it wasn't time yet.  I know that there were
some "difficulties" at some of the sessions, but no arguments, fights, etc.
I attribute this to the normal communication shortcomings of the
participants, both students and adults.  The closing circle that Julie
described as "chillier than usual," I would describe as "positive and
uneventful."

I realize the above description might sound defensive, but one point I'm
trying to make is that the success of an open space should be evaluated in
context.  Julie, if you were to follow one of these girls around for a
single day, I'm sure you would be impressed by how much conflict they deal
with.  By comparison, the open space event was heavenly.  My expectations
for the event were different than Julie's.  My expectation was that this
would be a chance to crack open the door to a more peaceable approach to
conflict.  That was accomplished!

Today, I will meet with that core group of girls to debrief and decide
where to go from here.  The process probably won't continue in open space,
but it will continue in some form as long as there is the energy to do so.
And it is the process of creatively recognizing and addressing needs that
if important.

In following the open space listserv discussion for several months, I have
noticed a telescopic focus the single event at the expense of the whole
process.  In my own mind, the open space event is always a snapshot in the
continually unfolding process of an organization.  In my opinion, what
preceeds and follows the OS event,-- especially what follows it -- is much
more important than the OS event itself.  This is true even if the OS event
is awesome and inspiring.  I believe that the interest and feelings
generated by "Unleashing the Drama" will lead the teens wherever they have
the energy to go -- guided by the concern and experience of the adults that
are involved with them.  I have no idea where the process will lead, but
I'll find out more in an hour!

Curiously,
Dave

Dave Frey
Drug Prevention/School Safety Coordinator
Tanana Middle School
600 Trainor Gate Road
Fairbanks, Alaska 99701
(907) 452-8145 ex. 1-110