Fwd: Re: Happy Thanksgiving!

Avner Haramati avnerh at inter.net.il
Sat Nov 23 12:07:56 PST 2002

Dear Harrison
and John

I was just celebrating yesterday my 50th birthday in our garden (with the same Jazz band, Harrison), 5 km north to Bethlehem. I am full of  Thanks to all that I have in my life and feel open to new horizons to come. I am glad to start this coming week the 1st stage of our open space training program with Tova and Yourself, waiting for you to join in January. I hope the Palestinians will succeed to use your time here for a training for themselves.
My bigest yearning for this coming year is that some progress will be made towards peace, Tova and myself are glad that we have the open space to advance that purpose. I am glad that open space enters this region as a way to promote passion and responsibility of all parties and human beings to a desired future, with no shame and guilt.

When you write John `fortunately, they had gotten the people out before they blow up the house` or ` until they demolish numerous houses of people they feel have been implicated in suiced bombing` you are implicitly saying `bad guys and innocent victims`. The Israely  perspective is, that whenever control on the palestinian population is loosened,   we are faced with harsh attacks on civil population. The image of the situation  in my mind is of a big strong guy who is sitting on a small guy with a knife, and whenever he gets up a little bit he gets a cut, so he continues to sit on him, and they quarrel about who`s responsibility is to stop the struggle.

We all know the solution, There is vast majority on both sides for two independent states on this tiny piece of land.  Parodoxically, the same majority on both sides want to continue fighting until the other will agree  (suprisingly -to the same above  solution that we all  know is the only one!)
.
I hope that a new horizon will open here for both nations, that will enable all of us to trust ourselves, not to be stucked in our previous traumas and emotions, and take the responsibility for choosing life as first ptiority.
I love the idea that you and John are helping this region, my only request is that while working with our cousins the palestinians remember as open spacers that they too can choose and influence their lives.
I am looking forward to see you  soon John, and Harrison later.

Avner Haramati
Jerusalem