[Fwd: Re: A Partial Diary of the Collective Buddha]

Raymonde Lemire raymonde.lemire at sympatico.ca
Mon May 13 06:17:11 PDT 2002

To everyone who are discussing " givens".

For me these are like "boundaries" within the open space.  It's letting
people know how far they can  / can't go within their self-organization.
  For example, when doing an Open Space on the reorganization of a
company - often some of the givens are you can't change the name of the
company, fire anyone, but beyond that all ideas are accepted.  I guess
to some extent it's letting people know what are the limits of the
situation and that's OK.  We all have limits in our lives - I don't
believe people take limits necessarily negatively - they are part of
life - people then know where they stand within the current situation.

Raymonde Lemire
Documents Etcetera
Ottawa Canada
raymonde.lemire at sympatico.ca

Dear Kenoli,
are givens really "statements of reality" ? Will not everyone
confronted with a socalled "given" process it with his or her
perceptions of reality? Are not most givens, when scrutinized, more
perceptions than anything else? Is this not what Birgitt found out in
her famous "givens exercise"?
Why are givens particularly important in processes like open space?
Are they less important in other processes?
Is that really so, that there is "nothing worse than to hold out a
promise then take it away"? I can think of a whole bunch of things
that are worse in my perception. What about people taking off in open
space on a "promise", working on their passions and planning action
and then being told it was all just a game, what will happen next?
Will they all drop dead and go into a stupor or what? What about our
experience that open space always works?
Why is being disappointed worse than being deceived?
And who is to tell?
Why so much worry?
>>From a sunny sundaybreakfastmorningmywifecallingmetojointhecrowd
I send greetings

michael

On Sat, 11 May 2002 13:32:18 -0800, kenoli Oleari wrote:

>For me, givens are statements of realities, in a way, disclosure
>statements.  They are particularly important in processes like Open
>Space where a high degree of initiative is "given" to participants.
>There is nothing worse than to hold out a promise then take it away.
>If the outcomes of an open space are simply advisory, this must be
>presented up front as a "given" so that folks do not feel deceived if
>the outcomes are not implemented.  Being disappointed at something
>like this is OK.  Being deceived, is not.
>
>--Kenoli
>
>>Judith--
>>
>>Well is "given" just a softer way of saying "regulation" or "rules," or is
>>there more there that I am missing?
>>
>>                               :-Doug.
>>
>>*
>>*
>>Visit:
>>
>>http://listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html
>

>--
>Kenoli Oleari, Horizons of Change, http://www.horizonsofchange.com
>1801 Fairview Street, Berkeley, CA  94703   Voice Phone: 510-601-8217,
>Fax: 510-595-8369, Email: kenoli at igc.org (or click on: mailto://kenoli@igc.org)
>
>*
>*
>Visit:

Michael M Pannwitz
boscop
Draisweg 1
12209 Berlin, Germany
FON: +49 - 30-772 8000   FAX: +49 - 30-773 92 464
www.michaelMpannwitz.de