OST as a conference track

Peggy Holman peggy at opencirclecompany.com
Tue May 7 09:33:14 PDT 2002

Wow, my query sure turned up a lot of stuff!

Harrison -- I would love to hear the story that leads to your unequivocal advice.

To the questions:

(Koos)
What is the reasoning behind this? Why do OST for just a part of the conference?

It has to do with the purpose of the Open Space.   It is focused on a particular project that won't be of interest to everyone.  Artur said it quite clearly:
> It is (1) to do it for the sub-community that cares about "Building a
> Pattern Language of Living Communication"

We did explore doing the whole conference in OS.  This didn't seem to make sense 1) because speakers were already committed; 2) the purpose and passion for the OS was tied not to the conference theme but to the specific topic of creating the pattern language, which is a track within the conference.  BTW, the OS will have it's own physical space.

(Winston)
Has the session been advertised/promoted as open to everyone at the conference? Could it possibly be of interest to everyone? (sounds like not from the nature of the topic but...)

We're planning on providing an invitation flyer as part of the conference packet and the sponsor will say a few words of invitation at the opening plenary that introduces the concept of a pattern language.  It will be open to everyone.  I doubt it will be of interest to everyone.

ON THE CLOSING CIRCLE:

Atur said:
> Now, what I would try is to talk with the organizing committee and say them
> that IF they want the closing circle to be open to all the participants,
> then the opening circle should be scheduled for a time slot where there are
> no other simultaneous events, so that every participant that cares can
> come. Then I would not care about the fact that someone's will not show up
> for the opening, neither for the fact that many will not participate in the
> rest of the OST sessions. I would treat them has butterflies ;-)

There is nothing competing with the closing circle.  It is the time for the conference close.  Artur, I really appreciate your image of those coming in from outside the OS as butterflies.  That helps.  It's just that there may be a LOT more butterflies than OS participants.

What makes me think it could work is that a closing question on what people are taking home from the conference works no matter where they've been.

So, guess I'm taking a real leap with this one.  Any other thoughts are welcome since the dates are  May 18-19.

Will let you know what the water's like (or if the pool was dry....)

Peggy