OST as a conference track

Artur Ferreira da Silva artsilva at mail.eunet.pt
Tue May 7 04:55:04 PDT 2002

At 09:02 06-05-2002 -0700, Peggy Holman wrote:

>I'm doing an Open Space in a few weeks that has a few twists (don't they
>all?) and would appreciate your thoughts.
>
>The setting is a 4-day conference of Computer Professionals for Social
>Responsibility.  The Open Space is on the last 2 days.  The first twist is
>that the OST event isn't for the whole conference.  It is a track of the
>conference on a particular topic  (Building a Pattern Language of Living
>Communication).  It won't be closed in any way; anyone can come and
>go.  It does have it's own space and will run on it's own schedule.  It's
>just that other conference sessions will be happening around it.
>
>First question -- has anyone done this?  Any advice?

Go for it, Peggy!

I know that you have received different advises, and that Harrison says he
has "been there" and don't want to repeat. But I think you also have the
right to do the experience and take your own conclusions and then report
back. One cannot replace one's own experiences by the experiences of our
parents or models...

But I am not sure if the two experiences are similar. The point is "what is
your objective?". In my opinion it is NOT to do an OST for the all
community that will come to the conference to solve the main problems of
that community.

It is (1) to do it for the sub-community that cares about "Building a
Pattern Language of Living Communication" and (2) to show to the all
community how OST can help them to cope with their "social
responsibilities" and (3) eventually also with their own professional work.
Because of all this the opportunity - even if limited - is too good to not
be considered.

Now, what I would try is to talk with the organizing committee and say them
that IF they want the closing circle to be open to all the participants,
then the opening circle should be scheduled for a time slot where there are
no other simultaneous events, so that every participant that cares can
come. Then I would not care about the fact that someone's will not show up
for the opening, neither for the fact that many will not participate in the
rest of the OST sessions. I would treat them has butterflies ;-)

Regards

Artur