OST as a conference track

Harrison Owen owenhh at mindspring.com
Mon May 6 17:27:18 PDT 2002

At 09:02 AM 5/6/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>I'm doing an Open Space in a few weeks that has a few twists (don't they
>all?) and would appreciate your thoughts.
>
>The setting is a 4-day conference of Computer Professionals for Social
>Responsibility.  The Open Space is on the last 2 days.  The first twist is
>that the OST event isn't for the whole conference.  It is a track of the
>conference on a particular topic  (Building a Pattern Language of Living
>Communication).  It won't be closed in any way; anyone can come and
>go.  It does have it's own space and will run on it's own schedule.  It's
>just that other conference sessions will be happening around it.
>
>First question -- has anyone done this?  Any advice?

I have. Advice: Don't do it.

>  The second twist is that the closing circle is envisioned as the
> conference closing.  This means that it will include not just the people
> who have been in the OST event but everyone who attended the
> conference.  Again, anyone have experience with something like this?

No -- and I can't imagine how it would work. should be a great learning
moment.

Doubtless my comments will be perceived as being less than helpful. but
having been there, done it (at least partially) and have fully resolved not
to do it again -- I could do nothing other than my Mommy always taught me.
Call it like it is.

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive