a word from a ferind

Averbuch averbuch at post.tau.ac.il
Sat May 18 09:11:02 PDT 2002

dear friends,
I had sent this fallowing mail, to what I thought to be Dan Chay's address, on the 13 of May. It came back to me today. Since I clearly remember hesitation on my part whether this contents belong to the list or not I collect ,now, from the mails Koos, and Joelle and Julie (and the fact that it made it all the way back...) that this may be the time and place:

Dear Dan,

    thank you very much for your response and recognition it is well taken
and appreciated.I have some responses I would like to share with you as a
way of deepening the conversation:

You write:
            <And I still wonder also if the Israeli military (members of it)
perpetuated massacres themselves. I am currently fairly sure they
perpetuated horror. It concerns me less whether any perpetuators of
horror Palestinian or Israeli were by some justification "right" to do
so or not, compared to whether perpetuating horrors on others will help
anyone achieve their higher aims.>

you see, I have no interest in who is "right" either.
 I assume each and every person has the right to live their life according
to their story so the only thing that does interest me is the peace making
story.

you wrote:
    <It seems to me your neighbors and you and the different Palestinians
have closely-felt experiences to help shape your understandings in a way
that I do not.  I imagine for some that has been a mixed benefit.  It
looks from here to me like living so close to the edge of survival has
resulted in many of both Israeli and Palestinian people not being able
acknowledge and understand other peoples' perspectives very well.
For some time I have sought also to understand the horrors felt by
Palestinians. There is, for example, a mailing list by Ali Abunimah that
provides alternative (to US mainstream news) selections of news and
analysis about the Palestinian-Israeli conflict that can be joined by
sending a blank email to aliabunimah-subscribe at yahoogroups.com..>

    It may surprise you but  I think this closeness sometimes makes you num
and sometimes more of a human because you see the suffering of the
Palestinians every day as well, and you hear directly and you read - It is
more real and more personal. If you happen to be a person that can not hate
,you ake and you grievea lot until you learn ,at times, to transform it to
hope and belief and what this list calls "love".
    I do not see our war in the Middle east as a war between Jews and Arab
or a war between Israelis and Palestinians. I see it,  for many years now,
more as a war between: hope and love fighters and despaired/consumed by hate
fighters; life fighters and death fighters on both sides.
    It is not a boarders type of war it is the core we are fighting for
because The Israeli-Jewish dream land of the heart and prayers will always
be "the land of Israel" ( they will be-longing there), and the Palestinian
dream land is the land of plantain ( they fell the be-long there). since
this is the exsect piece of land there is only a practical question: can we
respect and trust one another enough to live in two neighboring countries and
give up our dreams/ This is a lot of grief to go threw even for those who
what and an almost impossible leap of trust for all concerned.

    <It seems to me it is these kinds of perspective WITH what we learn from
various Israeli and other perspectives that will help us understand more
profoundly each others' pain  -- by way of beginning to better
understand the complexity of the whole and to shift from vicious to
virtuous cycles of interaction>
I definitely agree. but I didn't think this is for the list type of material,
I am afraid to shut space for others what do you think?

with love and respect
Tova Averbuch
averbuch at post.tau.ac.il