A Partial Diary of the Collective Buddha

Julie Smith jsmith at mosquitonet.com
Mon May 6 12:33:44 PDT 2002

Greetings ~

Several months ago I came across the idea that the next Buddha might be
a collective Buddha, and that the venerable Thich Naht Hanh was at least
one person who had spoken this thought.  My first impulse was to share
that provocative idea here, but I resisted.  (I’m not sure why any of us
resist expressing ideas that make our hearts soar, but it’s clear we
do
)

This past weekend I spent some time re-reading some of the September 11
posts in the archives.  I don’t have words to express how deeply those
posts impacted me the first time they came to me.  They have a similar
impact on me even now, after repeated readings.

I couldn’t remember exactly when I had joined the OSLIST, but knew it
was just a short time before 9.11.  I decided to go back to see how it
all started for me.  I learned I joined the list on August 27 and began
chiming in on August 28.  (The conversation that was emerging at that
time was irresistible to me, as it explicitly named a core question of
my life.)

That was all well and good, but then I wondered what was going on before
I entered the fray.  I decided to take a look.  Imagine my surprise when
I found this:

***