Open Space in a conference

Doris Gottlieb dlgottlieb at chello.nl
Tue Mar 26 04:45:40 PST 2002

Hi Eiwor,
Thanks for your answer. I guess in answer to the first question, one of my
thoughts is about the difficulty sometimes of the mixture of Open and
"other" Space within a conference. I know I have read many people describing
the difficulties of combinations in other posts and it is a question on my
mind. What happens when a conference is structured in such a way that 6 out
of 7 parts are being held in very structured traditional forms and 1 part is
being held in Open Space. What effect will that have? Is that appropriate? I
don't have the answers to the questions, and there is a part of me that
says, "just do it." But there is also the part of me that says it's a worth
it to wonder about these impacts, question the needs and bring that with me
to the planning so that I can let it go when we decide to make a go of it.

About the second question, I also thought that something like asking people
to be present for the first hour would be a good idea. I'm pretty sure that
if there are enough people that stay with the process throughout the 2 days
that they can "help the others" out,  but it is two days and I think the
spirit of the event has to be in some way preserved. I'm wondering if that
can be done in this sort of combination?

Thanks again,
Doris