OS with justicial authorities

Julie Smith jsmith at mosquitonet.com
Mon Mar 11 10:14:41 PST 2002

Greetings Michael,

If you’re looking for creative ways to think about how we respond to
crime, you might want to take a look at the Restorative Justice
movement.  Restorative Justice is transforming the way people think
about crime and justice.

Restorative Justice is a philosophy.  It starts with a redefinition of
crime.  Rather than defining crime as a violation between the offender
and the state (or country), RJ defines crime as a violation between the
offender, the victim, and the community.  This redefinition requires a
new response to crime.

Rather than focusing on the state’s response to the criminal act (a
trial and punishment meted out by the court system), RJ seeks ways to
involve the offender, victim and community in identifying the proper
response to a particular crime.  This focus has resulted in the
development of victim offender mediation programs, family group
conferencing, and community circle processes.  All these processes
involve dialogue between the offender and the victim and/or the
community.  The result is a deepening understanding in all directions.

This is an international movement, with many programs originating in New
Zealand, Canada, and the U.S., and replication occurring in many
countries.  The best restorative justice programs share many of the
values and principles of OS.   My favorite restorative justice advocate
is Gordon Bazemore.  He has many articles published and available on the
web.

Julie