margaret wheatley on simplicity

Ralph Copleman ralph at earthdreams.net
Sun Mar 10 15:21:37 PST 2002

John Engle and all,

I appreciated John's posting of the Meg Wheatley excerpt and his
accompanying remarks.

I say we need to have faith in ourselves.  And patience.  If we are doing
something in a complex way, perhaps this is because we are still learning
the simple way.  When I first learn to do a thing, I have to think about it
(a lot, in my case).  Later when I've learned, truly internalized it, I can
do it without thinking.  Remember how you had to think about balancing the
first time you rode a bicycle?

The American jurist Oliver Wendell Holmes said this:  "I don't give a fig
for the simplicity this side of complexity, but I would give my life for the
simplicity on the other side of complexity."

We are beings who learn.  Where we sometimes err is in thinking we have
learned something completely when we may just be starting on the journey.

Ralph Copleman