OS and education reform

Lisa Heft lisaheft at pacbell.net
Tue Mar 5 19:10:50 PST 2002

Another thing to add -
This potential client was saying that it's hard to get Asian, island people
(her own culture) to step forward and take action, because the usual mode is
to wait for someone else to do it.  We all know that Open Space changes the
mode of waiting to one of doing and that it works across and within
cultures.
(and, I did ask her/them if it is they who want these folks to act, and if
the folks themselves do not see a need to act...what are they pushing here?
Rather than lingering on a cultural impression of how a group of people act
/ or don't, I recommended they think instead of who the action people are
and invite a smaller group of people who already know and see that action is
what they want...but meanwhile....)
So far, one of these two clients are thinking v-e-r-y literally - for
example, they hear and don't hear the stories I tell them of parallel
situations (Open Space with education and business, Open Space stirring
people into personal and organizational action), and because she did not see
the openspaceworld.org  What is Open Space article translated into an Asian
language, she is not hearing that I have colleagues who are part of and who
work with people of Asian countries and cultures specifically (hi, Laura,
Jimbo, Gail and my other brothers and sisters in your beautiful
countries...)
And yet, and yet, she is very excited about Open Space.  So she jumped from
some linear brain cell into an intuitive one for *that* understanding..
So, gee: if you have any
education-and-business-for-education-reform-issues-into-action-with-Asian-pa
rticipants stories, maybe she'll be able to relate to that.
Thanks again,

Lisa

- - -
L i s a   H e f t
Consultant, facilitator, educator
Open Space Technology and Experiential Learning

2325 Oregon
Berkeley, California
94705-1106  USA
(+01) 510 548-8449