Wasn't arrogance a sign of excessive Pro-active Organizations??

Fr Brian S Bainbridge briansb at mira.net
Thu Jun 27 18:24:45 PDT 2002

For Meg Salter
Dear Meg
We had a new Bishop ordained here last Wednesday.
There is an opportunity for a newly ordained Bishop, at the end of the
quite long ceremony, to "say something".  It often sounds like a wedding
reception speech, thanking Mum and Dad and teachers and , and....
This man - who has spent the last couple of years as Personal Chaplain
to the Pope - didn't do that.  He DID say that in the weeks since it was
announced he was to be  bishop, many people had come at him and said how
terrible it must be to be  becoming a Bishop at this very time, with all
the attacks on the Church in so many ways including the sexual abuse
matters and the cover-up accusations, etc.  His sense and response - at
the Cathedral - was that this has always been the case with any
organization reaching out into the future and doing good, even though it
gets things wrong sometimes. And that, as people of faith, these times
are the opportunities do so things better into the future.
Most wonderful as a sign of our times, and very like the response that
Harrison made to your comment - that there are always opportunities for
doing better.  And those opportunities are never absent, if we have
faith in what we can do to make things better - like the people at the
Rome gathering seem to have found in themselves somewhat.
Yes, we are at a moment of special time - this moment.  But that's not
new and never will be - even though the now moment is new and always
will be.
Our challenge in each now moment is to see the space that is there and
help open the space so that better outcomes can happen.  Of course.
Cheers and blessings,   BRIAN.