How much can the space holder participate?

Harrison Owen owenhh at mindspring.com
Mon Jun 24 04:50:28 PDT 2002

At 07:57 PM 6/23/2002 -0400, Doug. Germann wrote:
>How much can the space holder participate in an OS?
>
>Are we just to sit off to the side and hold space, or do we (do you?) stick
>our heads in on the groups, maybe even participating, maybe even posting a
>topic?
>
>When is it good to do these things, and when not?

I am sure there is no hard and fast answer, but I have found that if either
of two conditions are true --1) You are lately come to Open Space or 2) The
gathering is particularly conflicted -- you would be well advised to do
nothing and be a whole bunch. With practice I find it possible to be a very
active participant PROVIDED I always remember what my primary job is. So if
I find my self getting totally sucked into some issue to the point that I
lose sight to the total environment -- I know it is time to back out of the
participant role. Another factor which occurs not infrequently is that the
group as a whole assumes the "time/space holding function." This is
particularly true of groups that have been in Open Space frequently. But
one thing is very clear to me -- when the issues are large, the stakes are
high, and the ambient passions are even higher -- don't even think about
becoming a participant. As an example, when I was with my Israeli and
Palestinian friends in Rome it was very clear to me that holding space was
a full time job, and then some.

Harriison

>Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Drive