How much can the space holder participate?

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Sun Jun 23 22:09:07 PDT 2002

Doug--

I can only tell you what I do, for what that is worth.  My first committment
is to hold space for the whole meeting, and probably for a little time before
and after.  While holding space I may slip into the back of sessions (not
usually actively participating, though I will respond to direct questions),
talk with individuals, pick up empty cups, re-tape falling posters, eat, take
a short walk or nap.

What I do not do:  Post sessions myself, stay in one spot the whole time,
tell people what they should do, read a good book, work on another project,
let my attention wander outside the conference.

The first time I heard Harrison define "holding space," he called it "just a
24-hour walking meditation," and that definition works well for me.

My two cents' worth--

Joelle