A Report from the Field - Another One - Short!

Jim Metcalf jim9654 at altelco.net
Fri Jun 14 19:07:58 PDT 2002

Dear Brian and all fellow adventurers in Open Space!
I am struggling with two opportunities.
The first is for my own congregation, a pleasant, unchallenged group of
Lutherans. I am planning an Open Space event for them, with the
encouragement of the council, to plan activity for the months September
2002 through May 2003. I am working on wording for a theme, with this as
the current idea: "Working Together in Faith: September 2002 -- May
2003". I am not entirely satisfied with this expression, however, and
would welcome your input.
The second opportunity involves a neighboring congregation, and begins
next week. They are planning to spend several million bucks on some
project or other, but there is no enthusiasm for the work. They happen
to be an hundred plus year old congregation in the heart of the
downtown, surrounded by a new medical research facility, and are
neighbors to various government and private office buildings. This is
not your residential neighborhood church! Members commute to
participate. Their pastor's problem is that he does not know why they
lack energy for this project, although intellectually everyone is lined
up behind it. He has called a two hour meeting of the congregation this
coming Saturday, and has asked me to lead it. I am proposing an open
forum in which members can toss out some ideas, and from that I want to
generate an Open Space meeting some time later. I would like to hear
your thoughts on this also.

Eagerly waiting,

Jim