A First Step From Rome

kenoli Oleari kenoli at igc.org
Wed Jun 12 08:26:08 PDT 2002

Another example of what we have been experiencing whenever a "system"
of people are assembled and given a context in which to talk to each
other about things that they know are important to them: that they
discover that they already have the "wisdom" to find their own way.
The "wisdom" is in the room!  It also underlines the huge damage that
is created by the structures and assumptions that tell people they
don't have the wisdom to discover, guide and implement their own
futures.

While this and many other examples indicate that the wisdom or
content do not come from the process, per se, they also indicate the
entirely hopeful fact that we do know ways of bringing people
together that are both not rocket science which can effectively free
this wisdom.  Process may not play the role it has been classically
portrayed as playing -- i.e. of doing something to someone -- but
this example clearly indicates that it plays an important role in
terms of what it can invoke.

As well as surfacing the important reality about the inherent wisdom
in systems, I think these kind of examples give us a different way of
looking at process.  Process may not play a causative role, but some
other role, perhaps more of a collaborative role.  I think all of us
have reactions to "process" because of the way it has been used "on"
us.  Open Space provides an elegant alternative, partly because it
seems to be a "non-process" process.  Perhaps the issue here is less
"what process," or how do we do away with process, but how can we see
process differently.  How does Open Space as a process relate to a
group that is different than our traditional beliefs about process?
Do we have other examples of this?  What can we learn about the role
of "process?"

--Kenoli

--
Kenoli Oleari, Horizons of Change, http://www.horizonsofchange.com
1801 Fairview Street, Berkeley, CA  94703   Voice Phone: 510-601-8217,