Weaving OS into other processes (long)

Julie Smith jsmith at mosquitonet.com
Mon Jun 3 23:42:14 PDT 2002

Greetings Peggy, Pablo and all ~

Harrison graciously engaged in a conversation with me and others about a
similar topic several months ago. I think my original question had
something to do with what happened to the conflict that I knew must be
present in the situations people were describing here. Coming from the
place of being a mediator in my professional life, I was curious about
what OST facilitators “do” with the conflict they encounter in OST
events.

By the time we finished that conversation, I had become aware of an
entirely new (to me) way to think about conflict.  I began to see that
conflict is sometimes created from the container of interaction being
too small and too limiting, and I began to understand how the OST
process might allow participants to bypass huge chunks of conflict
simply by providing enough space and freedom for people to converse
authentically about what is important to them rather than bumping up
against unnecessary barriers and obstacles.

I now think Harrison is right.  I think OST challenges prevailing
notions about conflict resolution in significant ways.  I haven’t quite
figured out how it all fits together yet, but I do know I no longer feel
a need or desire to mediate... seems like an awful lot of doing...  :)

As for how the collaborative conflict resolution process might fit into
OST, I think increasing the skill level of participants couldn’t hurt. I
assume any OST event would benefit from participants having good
communication skills and an awareness of how collaborative conflict
resolution processes work.  If the existing status of the OST
participants is having had this kind of training, that is all to the
good.

I don’t think it would ever have occurred to me to try doing an OST for
every step of the conflict resolution process.  Interesting...
stretching it out like that would provide lots of opportunity for people
to get to know each other and build trust and relationships... but
sometimes too much of a good thing really is too much of a good thing.

Seems like both options provide lots of learning opportunities, and if
Pablo and his colleagues have passion and are willing to take
responsibility for this new idea...

whatever happens will be the only thing that could have...

it’ll be over when it’s over...

and most important, it’s all good...

There, am I a good disciple yet?  Is there some kind of advancement...
like a gold star on my forehead or a green belt around my waist, or...
hey, how about refilling that glass of wine, Harrison?  (I’ll order
another brandy for you...) :)

Julie