Reporting back...Open Space for a track within a Conference

Michelle Cooper mcooper at integralvisions.com
Mon Jun 17 06:15:43 PDT 2002

Thanks for your story Peggy. It echos my experience of opening space within
a conference. The people who participate find it quite freeing, but as a
facilitator, I can see how it can be much more and the energy is very
different.

I also read with interest your notion of introducing Open Space Technology
with a reflection. As with Judi, I use a transfer in process whenever I
facilitate meetings other than Open Space Technology. I too have found the
opening enough of a "transfer-in" for OST. As your students reflected Judi,
as a participant in OST, I have found whenever the opening is abbreviated, I
find it much harder to engage in and be connected to the topic.The
abbreviated openings have usually happened in the case where it is a
gathering of OST practitioners and there is an assumption that we know what
to do.  I use that time as my reflective space, to formulate my own thoughts
and to generate my questions, not necessarily to listen to the instruction.
It gives me time to connect with others in the circle at an energetic level
as I look around and follow the facilitator. As a result of my own
experience, I always use a full opening, even in repeated sessions with
groups.

Thanks

Michelle Cooper RN, MScN
Integral Visions Consulting Inc.
200 Crestview Avenue
Ancaster, ON L9G 1E2
Tel: (905) 648-4633
Fax: (905) 648-1763
Toll Free (North America): 1-877-405-9918

"Inviting Organizational Effectiveness and Health"

Once we know people's stories, we feel compassion instead of judgment.
Today, practice remembering that everyone has a story. - Mary Manin
Morrissey